Outdoor cooking: The Ultimate Guide
We love cooking outdoors in Australia. And with an Ooni Pizza Oven, it couldn’t be easier or more fun. Whether you have a garden, an outdoor kitchen, a verandah, or like spending your time cooking on the beach, there’s nothing like the smell of freshly baked pizza wafting through the air. In this blog, we want to help you understand what you need to get the most out of outdoor cooking, whether at home, a friend’s house or even out in the bush.
Choosing the Right Size:
- Outdoor space: The size of your outdoor area will determine the suitability of your Ooni Pizza Oven. Ensure you get the right oven for your space.
- Versatility: For larger areas, consider the 16" Karu and 16” Koda models, which will also offer you a greater versatility of cooking options.
- Small but mighty: Opt for 12" models for smaller spaces, or the Volt electric pizza oven for flexibility.
Outdoor cooking should be enjoyable! And there are a few essential pieces of kit that will make your life a whole lot easier.
- Set the scene: A modular table ensures your oven stays safe and secure while a topping station lets everybody assemble their perfect pizza combos.
- Cooking essentials: A pizza peel is your best friend, and makes launching your creations super easy, while an infrared thermometer takes away the guesswork, and lets you know exactly when your oven is ready to use. Oh
Fuel your pizza desires
When choosing an Ooni, it’s vital to consider your fuel source – wood/charcoal, gas, or electric. Each has their pros and cons, but which one is right for you?
- The Gas Option: Gas ovens will give you more control over your cooking, with a more reliable heat source that lets you regulate temperatures.
- The Wood and Charcoal Options: On taste, wood and charcoal provide that unmistakable smokey taste and a more authentic wood-fired flavour.
- The Electric Option: If you’re in a smaller space, then the Volt electric oven is a great option.
Picking the right fuel source that not only suits your garden but also suits your cooking needs, is an important first step to getting the outdoor cooking experience you love. And whichever you choose, never fear – ALL Ooni ovens deliver amazing tasting pizzas.
Now, there’s a serious side to outdoor cooking, and it wouldn’t be a great guide if we didn’t include a few safety tips! Safety ensures everyone can have a great cooking experience, so here are our top tips:
- Be Prepared: Read and follow the instructions and safety guidelines that were included with your Ooni oven.
- Keep your oven secure: Place the oven on a stable, heat-resistant surface, away from flammable materials and with sufficient clearance above and around it.
- Protect the hands: Use heat-resistant gloves or oven mitts when handling hot surfaces.
- Watch out!: Supervise children and pets around the cooking area.
- Cool things off: Allow the oven to cool down completely before cleaning or storing.
Ooni Karu 16 Multi-Fuel Pizza Oven$1,499.00 AUD
Multiple fuel options for maximum cooking versatility Cook with wood or charcoal out of the box, or use gas with the Ooni Karu 16 Gas Burner (sold...View full details
Ooni Koda 16 Gas Powered Pizza Oven$1,199.00 AUD
Gas fuelled for the ultimate ease and control Heats to 500 °C (950 °F) Cooks fresh, stone-baked pizza in as little as 60 seconds Extra-large cooki...View full details
Ooni Fyra 12 Wood Pellet Pizza Oven$549.00 AUD
Hardwood pellet fuelled for consistently high heat and low maintenance Wood fired flavoured 12” pizzas Reaches 500 °C (950 °F) in just 15 minutes ...View full details
Travelling with an Ooni
With an Ooni Pizza Oven, you can bring the flavours of Italy to your backyard. But, what if you’re out and about? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! Whether you’re camping, glamping, or just making your mates jealous, there’s a great range of portable Oonis that let you take your pizza expertise with you wherever you go.
- Travel size: The Fyra 12”, the Karu 12”, and the Koda 12” are all portable, but still large enough to cook a delicious pizza or a variety of other dishes. Our latest release - the Ooni Karu 12G - has even been called “The world’s most advanced portable pizza oven”, so you can travel with your oven, without compromising on functionality.
- Food for thought: Taking an Ooni on your travels lets you whip up a variety of hot, delicious dishes for hungry campers – and not just pizzas. You can use it for meat, veggie dishes and even fish. Check out our range of recipes for some inspiration.
- Don’t overload: Just like you don’t want too many toppings on a pizza, you don’t want too many groceries in the trunk of your car, so it's best to plan accurately for outdoor cooking. Avoid the hassle of carrying home unrefrigerated leftovers or dealing with sweaty cheese.
- Bush safety: If you’re using a wood fuel oven, be aware of the conditions and be extra careful if you’re taking your Ooni into the outback. Bushfires can easily start by a few stray embers. Check with your local authorities to ensure you’re allowed to cook in the area.
Long live outdoor cooking
Outdoor cooking is one of the great gifts of living in Australia and our amazing climate means we can cook outside more than most. It also offers so many long-term benefits, from socialising to mental well-being. Additionally, the option to pay in instalments provides convenience and flexibility. So, hopefully we’ve convinced you. Now all that’s left to do is grab an Ooni oven, get outdoors and start cooking!